Reporting to the VP, Product Development, the Mechanical Design Engineer will work within a multidisciplinary team to ensure the smooth transition of new products through all development stages from concept to manufacturing hand-off.
- Liaise with third party vendors of design services, component parts and materials to support the industrial and mechanical design process.
- Research solutions to design problems, material specifications and manufacturing processes.
- Create sketches and drawings that communicate design intent.
- Calculate factors like tolerance, dimensions, and structural analysis to support design efforts.
- Evaluate mechanical design risks in development projects and aid in coordinating activities to mitigate.
- Identify, read and understand published standards and ensure they are applied appropriately throughout the design process.
- Design jigs and fixtures to support manufacturing team
Testing & Validation
- Inspect and validate mechanical prototype parts during development projects
- Engage stakeholders within the company for feedback on prototypes
- Design and perform testing on first article parts including IP, temperature, drop, aging, etc.
- Liaise with external test labs for testing outside of our capabilities
- Analyze test results and communicate results through reports and presentations with stakeholders within the company
Quality & Sustaining
- Assess mechanical design failures to find root cause and provide solutions to eliminate failures.
- Communicate drawing changes for existing products and parts to third-party providers of design services.
- Manage production drawings of manufactured parts for completeness and accuracy.
- Support the engineering change process with mechanical design expertise and documentation support.
- Support quality team to inspect and verify production parts for use in manufacturing.
- Maintain reference library of golden part samples.
- Identify and validate parts from alternate suppliers for fit, form, function to mitigate supply shortages
- Broad general knowledge and understanding of manufacturing processes with a particular emphasis on Injection molding and the design and manufacture of electronic products.
- Self-motivated with the ability to show initiative and seize opportunity.
- Capable of working independently and in team environments.
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience in a design and manufacturing setting.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- SolidWorks CAD experience.
- Strong computer skills.